Published in lohud.com, natch.
Quotes follow, my emphases.
“While the video has a political subject, its real purpose is to cheer us up, not stir us up, as it pokes fun at everyone who has the luxury of going stir crazy while being sheltered safely in place.”
“Titled ‘KoCuomo,’ the video rewrites the Beach Boys’ ‘Kokomo’ into a musical tribute to New York Governor Andrew Cuomo.”
“The video shows life dragging in the house – dishes pile up, showers are optional. But when Cuomo comes on for his daily news briefing, everyone is rapt and riveted, ‘in love with words of our take-charge guv.‘”
[NJ Governor] Murphy has warned that he would rescind the order and close parks again if the rules are observed.
- I expect ‘are observed’ should be ‘are not observed’.
- I also expect that Gov Murphy is dying to close parks again just to show he is in charge.
Researchers are hard at work trying to come up with an answer and there’s no clear consensus, but one telling fact stands out: The number of deaths the U.S. endured in April is larger than the combined total during the entirety of the pandemic for the next two countries on the list, Italy and Great Britain (54,738).
Populations (per https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/)
Italy = 60.43 million
Great Britain = 66.49 million
USA = 327.17 million
Summary: USA has 2.57 times the combined population of Italy and Great Britain.
I also note the editorializing ” . . . telling fact . . .”. What makes this ‘fact’ telling?
I find USAToday useful for learning latest DNC talking points, less useful for learning latest news.
In case you get stopped for non-essential travel.
Rhode Island Police to Hunt Down New Yorkers Seeking Refuge
That is Bloomberg’s headline, not my characterization, but I added the bolding.
Lead paragraph: “Rhode Island police began stopping cars with New York plates Friday. On Saturday, the National Guard will help them conduct house-to-house searches to find people who traveled from New York and demand 14 days of self-quarantine.” [my emphasis].
- I am so old that I can remember when electing women to office would result in a kinder, gentler country. Good times, good times.
- The work-around is easy. If stopped in your car, or being held face down on the floor at gunpoint, tell them you are an illegal immigrant. You will be released and maybe even get a voucher for 1 free year at a RI college.
- Old CW: we are in this together. RI CW: we hate you and fear you.
I hope the RI TV stations include coverage of the house-to-house searches, including knocking on door, search perimeters, and control points.
Showing his inner tyrant. Topic in the link: https://dailyvoice.com/new-jersey/mahwah/news/covid-19-campgaw-darlington-ramapo-reservation-closed/785674/
Naturally he refused responsibility: ‘Tedesco said he was forced into the executive order “in a further effort to slow the spread of the pandemic.”‘
Wimpy passive voice found here in executive order: “Despite instructions from federal, state, and local officials to make every attempt to stay at home and avoid crowds, some Bergen County parks have noted that people continue to visit parks in large numbers, gather in parking lots, bathrooms, and popular spots despite guidelines to maintain a social distance from other people. ” [my emphases].
- “Make every attempt”: well, maybe people did, or a lot of them did. Making an attempt is making an attempt.
- “Some . . . parks have noted”: tell me more about these apparent self-reporting, non-human reporting systems.
The closed parks are
a. Ramapo Valley County Reservation Ramapo Valley Road (Route 202), Mahwah.
b. Campgaw Mountain Reservation, 200 Campgaw Rd, Mahwah.
c. Darlington County Park, 600 Darlington Avenue, Mahwah.